Author Topic: Attention Deficit HyperActivity Disorder [ADD/ADHD]: Causes & Cures  (Read 43603 times)

Offline abbilynn

• Master
    • Visit my blog!
Re: Attention Deficit HyperActivity Disorder [ADD/ADHD]: Causes & Cures
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2007, 02:38:40 AM »

Also, thanks for the book suggestion, Abilynn.  I'll have to get that one, it sounds good!

No problem!  It's definitely the best book I've read!  We've been doing the biomedical stuff he talks about for the last year with my three boys and WOW what a difference.  We are still battling some issues and working them out by doing the things he discusses, but they have come such a long way.  It's a "MUST READ" and I'm sure you won't be able to put it down once you pick it up! LOL  :D ;)

abbilynn

I just got the book, and was wondering, abbilynn, if you had your kids tested for all of those tests he recommends??  We haven't ever gotten an official diagnosis for our son, since we weren't really going the medical route, and we are self insured.  If you did get the testing done, how did you find a good doctor, and were they useful ?  thanks!

We didn't do all the tests he talks about, we didn't have the money.  Our insurance at the time wouldn't cover ANYTHING.  :'(  We looked on the DAN website and found one in our area (2 hours away).  We really like her, and she ordered the tests.  We had to take out a personal loan from the bank to pay for them.  I think the crucial ones are the IgG Food allergy  test, the urine challenge heavy metals test, and the basic ones like red blood cell count and stuff.  It was worth all the money we paid!  We've been working on healing their gut for about a year now and are getting ready to do the provocation/neutralization allergy testing, then we will start chelating the metals out.  Praise the Lord we now have insurance that pays for some of those things b/c our DAN is in-network and it's helping alot!  You can go to the website and find one in your area.  Some of them overcharge way too much, but you may be able to find one that your insurance will cover.  They are usually helpful, and the tests help you see what's going on inside that's causing the symptoms on the outside.  But we don't use any medications or anything, only natural stuff to promote healing.  Our DAN practitioner is really good about that.  HTH  ;D

abbilynn
Wife for 11 years, Mommy to 3 rambunctious boys!!  :)  Lover of Jesus, my hubby, my kids, and learning!
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://glutenfreegoose.blogspot.com/

Offline mamaoffour

• Adept
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 08:55:40 AM »
Sonlight-Mommy -  Just wondering on how your son was doing these days?  Haven't seen any updates in a while.  Just thinking of you and your son.  I'm in the same boat as you ;) ;)

Misty
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it(Prov. 22:6).

Offline mommyof3

• Adept
    • Discovery Toys
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2007, 11:55:02 AM »
I too think my son, whoes 5, may be add or adhd. I've heard giving them fish oil helps a bunch! and also changing their diet... keeping them away from artificial colors and flavors and also preservatives, like, bht and bha? i believe it was. I had bought some fish oil gummies, but I'm not sure if its strong enough or if I'm giving him enough. I've just started  experimenting with it. I think i'll buy the actual fish oil capsules next.
I deffinately noticed the artifiicial colorings make him wild and  act up! I had given him only like 4 or 5 lifesaver gummies... he was crazy after that!  Of course I didn't think about it until after i gave them to him! I kept thinking, what made him so wild!?!? HAHA. then I remembered he'd eaten em and I checked the ingredients... sure anough artificial junk!  :-[ 
 Here's a couple of sites i was looking at; www.psychcentral.com, www.newstarget.com.

Offline ruhamah

• Adept
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 12:02:42 PM »
I have one of my boys who was been a very tactile learner from the start. When we got a new table cloth my daughter remarked how it was new, son #2 said how he like the design, son #2 put his hand on it feeling it over and over the remarked "Its, its, its flat!"

He is also very implusive! ADD, definately! But I am beginning to think that ADD is a third born male personality trait.(being the third born male of a larger family) I was reading the book 1776 from vision forum and one of Washington's generals was described, they could have been describing my son to a T. I looked back in the book and the general had been the third born male of a large family.

Anyway.................

He is so implusive, he broke a friends window by tapping on it just so he could get his brothers attention (I know that does not seem implusive) but he is so quick with his hands. He grabs faster, blurts things out...

We have trained all our children to obey Mom and Dad though he remembers not to touch, he always touches before we tell him not too.

His actions are always quick and not always predictable. He is also kind of awkward and clumsy, he is also very very tall for his age and can shoot up and inch in a month. (no exaggerating)

Anyone out there with a son like that and any advice to slow him down a little.

He is not hyperactive (I have one of those). His diet is very good only xylitol sugar, low cabs, only whole wheat or buckwheat. Lots of veggies and fruit and good fats. He takes camomile, a good multi vit, magnesium, calcium, B complex, and spirulina.

I still cannot figure out how to slow his brain and hands down. He often stutters over words because I can see his thoughts are going faster than he can get his mouth to move.

Help?

Blessed with a great family!
Mom to four and wife to a man I can really look up to! (5'1 vs 6'6).

Offline ruhamah

• Adept
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 12:13:57 PM »
Bump ???

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 12:51:43 PM »
Okay my disclaimer is that I do not have boys or one like you discribed.  But I know the impulsive feelings myself.  So Fisrt off I was wondering if you homeschooled? 
Many may disagree but I think that makes a difference.   Then if he is well trained as you say I would start working on reasoning skills.  Do alot of it I do this this is what happens things.  He sounds like a very active, courious boy.  That's where the hands on comes in.  Wants to experience everything!  I would bet that sometimes the results of his "adventures" suprise him.   It's hard but I think the key is to get him to think beyond the moment. 
I have noticed that most schooled kids can only think on what they are doing at that moment and not look into the future much.  But homeschooled kids don't have this as much.
The hard part is thinking beyond just now. What happens in five mins. or tomorrow if I do this now. 
Okay so I was probably no help and didn't make much sense.  Sorry.  Books with endings to choose from would be good for teaching this too.  Or just talking about What if Cain (cain and able) had obeyed God.  How might his life been instead. 
Hope that at least gets you thinking.
Jen
~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

Offline ruhamah

• Adept
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008, 05:49:13 PM »
Okay my disclaimer is that I do not have boys or one like you discribed.  But I know the impulsive feelings myself.  So Fisrt off I was wondering if you homeschooled? 
Many may disagree but I think that makes a difference.   Then if he is well trained as you say I would start working on reasoning skills.  Do alot of it I do this this is what happens things.  He sounds like a very active, courious boy.  That's where the hands on comes in.  Wants to experience everything!  I would bet that sometimes the results of his "adventures" suprise him.   It's hard but I think the key is to get him to think beyond the moment. 
I have noticed that most schooled kids can only think on what they are doing at that moment and not look into the future much.  But homeschooled kids don't have this as much.
The hard part is thinking beyond just now. What happens in five mins. or tomorrow if I do this now. 
Okay so I was probably no help and didn't make much sense.  Sorry.  Books with endings to choose from would be good for teaching this too.  Or just talking about What if Cain (cain and able) had obeyed God.  How might his life been instead. 
Hope that at least gets you thinking.
Jen

We do homeschool he has never been in public school and have recently been talking with him about thinking before acting, thinking what would happen next.

We do talk about what would have happened, or how things could have been different when reading all sorts of material though it is a good reminder to me to keep doing it. Thanks :)

Tonight was a disaster at AWANAS, sometimes I get so discouraged! :( :(
He said tonight after AWANAS if I just did what we talked about ie thinking before acting, none of this would have happened.

Thanks
R

Offline mamaofangels

• Adept
  • Mamaofangels Family
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2008, 06:49:34 AM »

Tonight was a disaster at AWANAS, sometimes I get so discouraged! :( :(
He said tonight after AWANAS if I just did what we talked about ie thinking before acting, none of this would have happened.

Thanks
R
That's good that means your teaching is working!  At least he is reflecting on what he could have done different which will eventually help with what to do in the future!  I would just add to remember to pray.  Tell him to ask God for wisdom when he get's those feelings of do it now.  That will help alot and make him stop to think too.  IMO you are on the right track!  Keep it up.
Jen
~ I don't believe in Miricles I DEPEND on them!

Click here to see my Intro.
Click here for my 7xsunday Intro.

Offline noahsmom81

• Learning
  • My Noah
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2008, 05:11:22 PM »
Hi! I am really new to posting on this website, but thought I'd give this one a try. My 5 1/2 yo son is in a preschool setting 5 days a week, all day as I have to work. I'd love to be a stay at home mom, but I am a single mom...

My lil man is having problems with focusing and he goes from one thing to another often. His teachers and other's have suggested getting him tested for ADD. I don't want to have him tested and I don't want to put him on any medication. I am new to the whole natural remedy stuff and I don't have a lot of money to spend on extra things. I guess I just don't know where to start. I've been trying to cut out most sugars, and only buy organic juices. I am also concerned about what perservatives and dyes etc are in the food he eats at his daycare.

I just don't know where to start. Please help!

Thank you!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2008, 06:31:27 PM »
Hi! I am really new to posting on this website, but thought I'd give this one a try. My 5 1/2 yo son is in a preschool setting 5 days a week, all day as I have to work. I'd love to be a stay at home mom, but I am a single mom...

My lil man is having problems with focusing and he goes from one thing to another often. His teachers and other's have suggested getting him tested for ADD. I don't want to have him tested and I don't want to put him on any medication. I am new to the whole natural remedy stuff and I don't have a lot of money to spend on extra things. I guess I just don't know where to start. I've been trying to cut out most sugars, and only buy organic juices. I am also concerned about what perservatives and dyes etc are in the food he eats at his daycare.

I just don't know where to start. Please help!

Thank you!

i have a son, sounds a lot like yours.  you could try giving him a couple teaspoons of cod liver oil right before breakfast every day for a few weeks and see if they notice a difference in his behavior.  it would be an easy thing to try and i've read on here that it really works for that. 
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline prairiechild

• Adept
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2008, 03:33:16 AM »
Definitely go with the cod liver oil. Carlsons is good, Garden of Life is even better but doesn't taste quite as good as the Carlsons. Vitacost is the cheapest place to buy it.

I have a four year old who I have to put in day care at times. I get him up early and make sure he gets filled up with a good healthy breakfast and then give him his cod liver oil. That way he eats less at daycare and I also find his behaviour is better. I usually feed him scrambled eggs, refried beans, sometimes with mexican sausage, ww toast or homemade tortillas. A light breakfast is made from scratch quinoa or oatmeal with butter, honey and raw milk. Yes, it is extra effort since I also go to work, but it is definitely worth it.

Offline noahsmom81

• Learning
  • My Noah
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2008, 10:57:48 AM »
Thank you all for your replies and encouragement. I sure need it lately. He (Noah) has good days and not so good. I just bought some Norwegian Cod Liver Oil from a local grocery store because our one health food store is closed on sundays. I couldn't find any liquid, so I just bought the gelcaps... Hoping I can open them up and give it to him starting tomorrow morning? Anyone know how much to give? He is 5 1/2 and about 37lbs. Do I give it to him on a spoon or in something?

Thanks again!

:)

Offline pljammie

• Adept
    • Handmade at the Farm
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »
I know you are busy, but if you can fit it in, try to read "Is This Your Child?" by Doris Rapp.  It is about how food allergies can affect a child's behavior.  I was amazed as I read it.  It described my son from in the womb  until now.  We found that milk (we always knew it caused him problems) causes him to be unable to focus and he gets really hyper.  I'm still in the process of testing other food allergies.  I've given him flax oil as it is what I had on hand.  He is picky, but still took it ok from a spoon.  Also, when he has to go to a school type setting and he is hyper, I give him Chamomile Calm.  I got it at the health food store and it works well.  The biggest thing that helps, is likewas said above.  He cannot have sugar at breakfast and must have protein and things that stick with him.  We are also treating him for yeast with probiotics and weaning him off of sugar, which is another trigger for hyperactivity.

Jammie
Mrs. P

Offline noahsmom81

• Learning
  • My Noah
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2008, 10:58:04 AM »
I called the library and they don't have the book. I looked on Ebay, but my computer won't let me complete my paypal transaction to buy one. So, I'll bid on it. I put an wanted ad up on this site, hoping someone might have an extra copy. Thanks so much for all the information.

:)

Offline SC

• Guru
  • Ephesians 5:2
    • Lexington Slim
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2008, 03:41:39 AM »
I’m composing this post and putting it in several places on this forum that have to do with emotional/mental disorders and nutritional factors.

I am reading a book by Autumn Stringham called A Promise Of Hope (ISBN: 978-0-00-200844-6). Autumn was diagnosed at the age of 20 with bipolar disorder that was unresponsive to traditional pharmaceuticals. This disorder ran in her family (mother, grandfather, brother). In desperation, her father (an engineer) teamed up with a pig-feed salesman and formulator. The salesman told Autumn’s father that the symptoms of the disorder sounded like ear-and-tail-biting syndrome which affects pigs that are missing a good ratio of trace and major minerals in their diets.

Together, they came up with a blend of minerals that could be readily absorbed by humans (it also has enzymes). Autumn has been off of all her medications for a decade now and is considered a normal thriving mom of 4 children. Her husband, by the way, is just as incredible as she is (to have cared for her and stayed with her through many, MANY things -- which you can read about in her book).

At any rate, the nutritional supplement is called Truehope EMPowerplus® and can be purchased here: https://www.mytruehope.net/store/products/truehope-empowerplus.asp?NSC=Y It is safe for pregnant and lactating women as it is a nutritional supplement and not a drug. From the site: “Nutritional deficiencies in key essential nutrients have been linked to disorders such as depression, bipolar disorder, ADD, stress, and anxiety.”

The next thing I learned is that vitamin D deficiency is also linked to many behavioral/neurological disorders. A vitamin D deficiency can lead to poor neurological function -- in both adults and children. This refers to D3 not the synthetic version.

It is recommended that 15 minutes in mid-day sun was recommended with additional supplementation of D3 for those with symptoms (these can range from ADD, foggy brain, Alzheimer’s, ADHD, Autism, Depression, etc.)

Dr. Mayer Eisenstein (www.homefirst.com) recommends that 5,000 units of d3 be taken each day as well as allowing mid-day sun exposure (15 minutes or so) each day (light/little clothing). He has case studies that includes one boy with autism that within 3 days on this protocol had gained the ability to speak. He was 12.

Vitamin D allows the body to process cholesterol as it was designed to do and it regulates MANY other functions.

So, while it may not SOLVE everything, it certainly won't hurt and will likely help in many ways. . . . in addition to helping fend off viruses that are going around, but that would be another thread.

Just thought I'd pass on the info: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health/autism/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 03:43:50 AM by SC »
I'm no doctor . . .             I'm not even a Post hole Digger! ;)
See what works for me at LexingtonSlim.com

Offline brightspot

• Adept
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2008, 02:48:36 AM »
Does a child have to be bouncing off the wall to be ADHD? I have a son who is having a very difficult time with learning. We go over a concept and he seems to grasp it but then the next day it is like he has never seen it before. He has a hard job focusing on his work or following through with instructions. He struggles with reading and doesn't like math. If I give him Legos, he will play for hours. I waited a year extra to start him in school because of this. He plays the drums pretty well (even filled in at church a few times) and is doing well with his piano lessons (3 weeks so far). My goal is to bring him up to grade level this year but I know it will be extremely difficult. He stays in his seat but drums  with his pencil constantly, lost in his own world of thoughts. Also, he doesn't think things through and asks questions that have an obvious answer or one that if he would listen (instead of interupting) to what was being read/said wouldn't need to be asked. After reading on here, it sounds like giving him fish oil would be a good idea. I'm just wondering what else I could/should do.

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2008, 04:15:33 AM »
Here's a thread and an interesting post that might apply to your situation.

http://www.welltellme.com/discuss/index.php/topic,607.msg3791.html#msg3791
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline herbs girl

• Master
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2009, 05:59:35 AM »
I have started a regime for my 6 year old son, and it is working. He has hyperactivity. I thought I would share what I am giving him.....

Nature's Way MoodAid-2 capsules        (a EPA:DHA ratio of about 20:1)

Focus Factor for kids -8 wafers                       (Vitamins ect for focus,calmness)

Natural Calm magnesium- 1 tsp or so           (extra magnesium)

Calm child- 4 tablets sperad throughout day     ( herbal support for calm focused attention...I plan on doing this for two weeks on, two weeks off with Dr Christopher's kid-e-trac so  he wont develop a resistance to the herbs.)

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
Bible Quizzing has been our ADD cure.
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2010, 04:44:32 AM »
We have a 19 yo who was diagnosed ADD (without hyperactivity) at a very early age.  She was referred to as SEVERE.  Girls are often very dreamy and hard to get their attention, then hard to keep it.  At 12, she still did not have the ability to carry out 1 simple command ('go get your shoes and bring them here') without reminders, most of the time.  We used to joke that she'd get side-tracked by a piece of dust on the carpet on the way up the stairs (but it is actually true!)  ;D

We tried it ALL.  Including a 3-day EEG and brain specialists.  Behavior mod, books, labels, charts, one on one guidance, home ed.  We tried various meds for a 2 year stretch (and gave it up without the miracle it promised to be, and too many side effects for our consciences as parents - we didn't like the 'I need my pill to think' mentality that goes along with meds, nor did we feel comfortable with the long side effects list.)

Her neurologist tested for epilepsy, as it appeared she was disconnected many times throughout the day, making her wonder if she were having minor seizures.  The neurologist was pretty baffled after running quite a few tests over several weeks, and in conference told us with all gravity, 'this child is not even on the bell curve as far as focus and attention.  I can only recommend medication which may help.'  She was sympathetic, but couldn't offer much more hope than the Ritalin and Adderal we already had tried.

One thing changed her life.  Bible Quizzing. A friend casually mentioned to me her Pastor's child had ADD and quizzing was like a miracle, and the child was able to give up meds.  

Our dd is in her 6th year of quizzing at 19, and plans to continue systematic memorizing for life.  Within a month of 15 min. a day of systematically memorizing scripture, we noticed her grades go up and her focus dramatically improved.  She has about half the NT memorized word perfect, and competes at the 'World' level now.  She is not alone - there are quite a few kids with ADD or ADHD who have found the combination of rote memory & competition just the thing their brains respond to.  She has an ability to focus, concentrate, debate respectfully and speak publicly we never dreamed would be possible.  

There are all sorts of leagues, using various versions and varying rules.  Ours happens to be the type where students sit on pads and jump up to answer.  I think the 'full body' focus may be important, but I'm not sure if results are the same in leagues that rely on a finger button.  

http://dbibleq.org/newsletter.aspx

Here is the link for anyone interested in more information, and my column (below) happens to be featuring her youth group & quizzing this week.  Please check it out also for why she finds quizzing so FUN.  FUN is important to keep motivation going.  It is suggested that quizzers devote 15 min. a day (2-4 verses) to memorizing, and generally practice 1 hour a week with their team, and quiz one day a month.  Our kids spend more like 30-60 minutes a day memorizing at night before bed - and will study all day (instead of school) before quiz meets.  We never required more than 15 min. - the FUN and competition (they quiz WITH team mates FOR the glory of God) drives them.

It has been, by far, our most gratifying extra curricular activity as a family - keeping ALL of us focused on the material as we help them.  I and II Corinthians this year.

Here is the World link for those interested.  

http://www.wbqa.org/

I recommend you download and watch a couple video clips from either or both sites - it is very hard to imagine why hundreds of children willingly choose to memorize vast amounts of scripture year after year....until you see the quiz!  :D

Here is a very brief movie clip (longer version at the link above) of kids at a World tournament - my daughter (w/add) is the first student on stage answering in Cranberry....she's pretty focused, and they took National.  Our other daughter is on the pink team.   ;D ;D ;D  Our 17 yo son coaches them.  

http://bq1.net/video/WBQA%20Promo%20Short.wmv

I pray this helps others.  While quizzing is fabulous for focus and attention, learning to compete and speak publicly and contest respectfully are skills all of us need.  Quizzing is a wonderfully integrated way to enjoy great fellowship across denominations, mingle teen socializing with family involvement and enjoy studying and APPLYING God's word together.

By age 16, people who were just meeting us and our student, began to express utter surprise that she ever dealt with ADD.  She has lots of 'brain tricks' she uses to get through the day and study and succeed.  She didn't drive till 18 (our suggestion).  We feel she is literally cured and no longer refer to her 'handicap' which was her legal status when she attended school.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 04:57:30 AM by GibsonTown »

Offline healthyinOhio

• Guru
  • Happily Married for 12 years and proud mama of 2.
« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2010, 05:26:59 AM »
I would recommend reading the book:  Is this Your Child?  It is very informative and goes into descriptive detail about how children with ADD/ADHD are suffering from food and enviromental allergies.
Our daughter, who was diagnosed with Tourette's, also had symtoms of ADD.  She didn't "bounce off the walls", but she had the concentration problems, paying attention problems, remembering small things. She never had that as a young child, but sort of grew into it.
We've had her on allergy shots for about a year, now, and she is basically a cured case!! HTH!

Offline 4myhoonie

• Guru
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2010, 10:33:54 AM »
I would recommend reading the book:  Is this Your Child?  It is very informative and goes into descriptive detail about how children with ADD/ADHD are suffering from food and enviromental allergies.
Our daughter, who was diagnosed with Tourette's, also had symtoms of ADD.  She didn't "bounce off the walls", but she had the concentration problems, paying attention problems, remembering small things. She never had that as a young child, but sort of grew into it.
We've had her on allergy shots for about a year, now, and she is basically a cured case!! HTH!

what exactly are these shots?  i have one ADHD and one that is like your daughter.  just haven't had the money or stamina to pursue diet and supps for all the problems of my 5 kids.   :-\
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Offline his.silly.wife

• Master
  • Psalm 100:5
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2010, 11:52:23 AM »
This was an interesting article about the outdoors and ADHD.

http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0605/a-wndr.html
Like NoGreaterJoy?  Sign up on fellowshipdirectory.com to meet others like you.

Offline GibsonTown

• Adept
    • Please visit my natural health column for herb ideas and recipes.  New articles M-W-F.
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2010, 05:06:37 AM »
OK, this is a bit rambling.....and totally my own opinion - but I hope to help encourage.  ADD is seen by our culture as a 'problem', but in another society, would it even be noticed?  If your child had early morning barn chores and worked with men at age 9 or 10 long full days, and ate farm food....would he be seen as 'not normal'?  The problem, really, is expecting normal, active, curious, smart, happy children to sit in a home or classroom most of the waking day.  While MANY children can thrive doing this....so many simply are not designed to, in my view.

As a mom of 5, the oldest 19, I am reading over all of these posts here and just want to encourage those struggling with causes and various options for treating ADHD and ADD.   Don't be too quick to consider your un-average (average is so dull!) child as having a handicap or disability.  Refuse the label.

I well remember the dispair and gloom and doom I personally put myself through, trying not to let my child see how concerned I was....we even traced back to her birth records to see if perhaps we were dealing with brain damage (she was a forecepts delivery.)  It seems so ridiculous to me now, she is so wonderful and mature and able (but at the time, we were dealing with VERY real handicaps.)

Moms, I encourage you to see and honor your child, for who God created him or her to be, right where they are at: beautifully and wonderfully made.  The last thing I wanted to do was somehow give our child (who definitely stood out!) the idea she was somehow broken or less pleasing to us.  I began to observe that as I honored and showed pride in my child, other adults saw her as much less 'disabled' than when I was constantly wringing my hands and apologizing for her.   :-[ 

I know how difficult it can be to draw the line of where obedience and ability (age/maturity related) divide.  But, do your best, hold your child to the standard you know he can function at, but never stress about comparing him to others his age.  For us, the simpler life could be, and routine, the better we enjoyed it.  (Labels, charts, stars, rewards....all just complicated life, for us, adding more stress).  What helped was to do ONE thing at a time, together, and allow free time for dreaming and doing 'nothing' (which is how many girls with ADD unwind and destress.)  For our son, we allow times of activity and play and outdoors a LOT.....and seriously limit TV and screens which very obviously train his mind and brain further in an ADD direction (constant change of thought and stimulation).  Rather, we build up his sitting and focus time through books he can hardly wait to hear another chapter of....right now at age 6 it is Indian In the Cupboard.  (He is planning an M&M movie party to celebrate our finish).  Let an ADD child lead the way as much as possible...it is his gift many times, so culture it.  Math or writing will come.

I personally feel there is a much broader range of 'normal' attention and focus ability, than we are led to believe by observation.  We live in a very linear, black and white culture - where things are done in classrooms and office cubes, and the slightest variation can be frowned upon.  The exceptions, however, are the leaders, paving the way.  Google, Pixar, Steven Jobs....Ron Clark. Study people not afraid to be different, think differently, who developed on their own God given pace. 

The best advice I got through the journey...
'Change the environment, not the child.' 
Don't try to fit a round peg in a square hole.  (many schools would not be good for a child with ADD.  Our current local Leadership school our 11 yo attends, - is AWESOME for a child with ADD.  No child is expected to excel in all areas, and teachers bend over backwards to customize the day for each child's gift.  If they love drawing, they do more of that as they learn.  If they work better alone or in quiet, there are areas in the large rooms they can gravitate to...even on the floor or a sofa (like home).  Every effort to take initiative and lead is encouraged.  When a parent walks into a room, several students jump up, greet them and introduce themselves, and walk them to the instructor and introduce them.  In 5th grade.)

I've observed my 17 year old dive in and master math that was force fed to her at age 11, and there was simply NO way her brain was going to do it.  Had she been in public school at the time she'd have been a dismal failure in math, year after year.  Who cares?  Eventually, in her own time, as her brain developed, she was able to totally master the math she needed when she needed it.  There is no reason to mimic institutionalized schooling for an ADD child.

Look for the gift.  These kids are born leaders, or born creators and inventors.  Who says we all have to make all As in all subjects, every year?  That simply isn't how God makes most of us.   ::) 

So, I just encourage you to have the courage to stop comparing your child to the kid his age at church or next door, and ENJOY him for who God made him to be.  He has 25 years to mature.  If you have a 13 year old who still cannot do 2 instructions in a row without a reminder, remember that I did as well.   :D  I fretted over that so much!  But in God's good timing, IT WILL COME.  There is no need to rush!  Joy is a huge motivator for any child.  Don't saddle him with your fear, is my opinion.

God is in ultimate control, who created your child, and chose you as his parents in His divine wisdom.  Trust Him to bring the information you need at the right time to help your child mature.  If you cannot afford alternative care or special diets, do what you know to do, and trust the Lord.  There are so many options...we spent a lot of money and time (deflecting from the rest of our children) on doctors, medications, neurologists and tutors and teachers' aids....that really never helped, and added fear.  We PUSHED our child far, far more than I would if we could do it over.  Once we gave up that, and just tried to encourage her specific gifts and joys.....she just blossomed.  While I regret some of that, we did the best we could as God provided wisdom along the way.  We know He had guided our choices, too.

I hope our story has encouraged some. 

At the risk of being redundant, because it has been our particular 'miracle' cure, I will link to another article I posted this week about quizzing and how it trains the brain, and FUN is the motivation that gets so many ADHD kids working hard.
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-33807-Detroit-Natural-Family-Living-Examiner~y2010m1d31-Detroit-area-students-quiz-to-win-pray-to-glorify

Also, our 19 yo (completely cured from ADD) highly recommends parents investigate Ron Clarks teaching methods, and get ideas of what EXCITES a child like this, and gets them motivated to grow, mature and learn.  Focus will come.  ;D

http://www.ronclarkacademy.com/

Have a FANTASTIC joy-filled day everyone!

what exactly are these shots?  i have one ADHD and one that is like your daughter.  just haven't had the money or stamina to pursue diet and supps for all the problems of my 5 kids.   :-\

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #53 on: February 02, 2010, 07:08:50 AM »
This thread has lots of good info on helping ADD/ADHD type kids:

Need you guys to help me calm down!

GT, thanks for the info on systematically memorizing scripture. Our 15 y/o is the most hyper of our children & he also has a great ear, memorizes things he hears quickly, etc. I think this would help him a lot. Thanks again.

Blessings ~herbalmom

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2010, 06:31:43 AM »
A family member came to me asking for advice regarding her son's recent diagnosis of ADHD.  I am pasting my response below (with edited names for privacy) and I am interested in feedback, since I have no direct experience as the parent of a child with this diagnosis.  I did a lot of reading, and of course I used a lot of info on this thread, but I'm open to hearing more if it's out there.  Thanks!  ~L

"Dear XXXX,
  XXXX and I are praying for you guys regarding this issue.  I know what a serious decision it is to medicate a child, especially in a personality-altering manner.  My younger adopted siblings were on Ritalin and other similar drugs for a while, but it was horrible and eventually they just gave up on the medication route.  So, I understand your dilemma and I am searching for alternatives for you.  One thing to consider when making your decision is that medication is a quick-fix that has no lasting impact on the problem, while natural therapies take longer to begin showing results, but the effects are also longer lasting.  Personally, I take to heart that we are all "wonderfully made" and that obstacles we face are for our own character growth and for a witness to others.  Anyway, I was up all night thinking and reading and this is what I have. . .
  I know of a few people who have given their children supplements, especially cod liver oil for omega-3s, but also zinc and B6, but I have no idea of the reasoning behind these.  I can try to contact them to find out, if you decide to try this.  Here is another supplement link:  https://www.mytruehope.net/store/products/truehope-empowerplus.asp?NSC=Y  Some people swear by the Feingold diet - www.feingold.org.  This diet removes all chemicals from food and body products, along with salicylates which occur naturally in certain types of produce.  It would be very demanding to keep up, though.  Someone also recommended the book, "Healing the New Childhood Epidemics - Autism, ADHD, Asthma and Allergies" by Kenneth Bock.  I have not read it or ever even seen it, so I cannot personally recommend it. 
  Another obvious thing is to cut out all caffeine and refined or artificial sugars.  Diet seems to be key in most natural therapies.  Often, children can have ADHD symptoms as a result of food allergies.  Eliminate or test for the obvious ones:  food additives/dyes and sugars, milk, wheat, etc.  (Most boxed food, like breakfast cereal is loaded with BHT & BHA, and MSG is often disguised as "natural flavor.")  You may have to dig even deeper into some other reactive foods or environmental triggers, such as mold.  Try reading, "Is This Your Child?" by Doris Rapp, about how food allergies can affect a child's behavior.  Heavy metal toxicity can have similar effects and exacerbate allergies, and they can be chelated naturally.
  One thing I keep reading is how candida can affect energy/attention levels.  In most people it causes decreased levels, but apparently in some individuals it can have a reverse effect.  I have never heard this before, but I can say that all of the siblings I mentioned also had a recurring excema-like rash that didn't respond to years of dermatology treatments, and later was discovered to be candida-related.  A yeast cleanse would be tough on your family (but likely not as tough as the Ritalin alternative.)  If you decided to go through with it, you would have to eliminate all processed foods containing corn syrups, all sweets, fruit, all white flours, as much gluten as possible.  Your best bet would probably be to switch to whole wheat pastry flour or brown rice flour in recipes and whole grain gluten-free breads and pastas. Because of gluten allergies and Celiacs disease, most stores have these alternatives, but be careful about the sweeteners they add.  Lots of good probiotics and soil organisms would help.  You may want to seek the guidance of a nutritionist because of his age, and I'm sure they could recommend a well rounded probiotic.  I personally like the ones from mercola.com or beeyoutiful.com.  Of course, that's just a start, but I'll save my ramblings.  :-)
  Poor focus is sometimes caused by a lack of quality sleep.  (It is believed that the #1 cause of stress in children is lack of schedule, beating out even the stress of a broken home.)  Things like fluctuating bedtimes, sleep apnea, nightmares, etc. can cause distracted, overtired behavior that mimics ADD and ADHD.
  Often, a different approach in teaching can satisfy whatever it is that the ADD/ADHD brain needs to settle down.  Most of my friends with children in this category home school because they don't want to medicate and the school districts do play a role in this decision, or because the district cannot meet the needs of their individual child as well as they can at home.  That gives them more freedom with teaching styles, and I have heard rave reviews about these methods: http://www.ronclarkacademy.com/contact-us.aspx    I realize the you may not want to home school, but perhaps you could look into their teaching style and work with XXX's school to incorporate it into his education?  Nearly all people with these classifications are very competitive leaders who are extremely intelligent and just need to channel their energy into something that interests them.  Here is a bible quizzing website that demonstrates a technique many Christian parents have found successful because their kids enjoy the competition enough to stay focused:  http://www.quiz.cc/  This is an article written by a home school mom I cyber-know about it:  http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-33807-Detroit-Natural-Family-Living-Examiner~y2010m1d31-Detroit-area-students-quiz-to-win-pray-to-glorify 
  There seem to be several natural alternatives that you can experiment with to improve his neural-social function without suppressing his personality.  Overall, I think that the biggest thing you can do (besides pray) is change his behavioral habits.  I don't mean that in a spanking sort of way (although XXXX did say exactly what I said he would)  :-)  I mean it in a psychotherapeutic way.  ADD is an issue he will deal with throughout his life, so you can teach him methods to overcome his weakness in this area and cope with his his urges in a socially acceptable way rather than suppressing them entirely.  Just like people with physically disabled children alter home life to suit their child's special needs, you could alter things to suit XXX.  You would need to set guidelines that you and all of his care takers would faithfully follow so that in all areas of his life he would be receiving consistent, immediate response to his actions - positive reinforcement for the good, mild correction at the first sign of a loss of control.  You may want to make physical and eye-contact when speaking to him, then have him acknowledge your words by repeating them back or saying "Yes, Mom/Dad."  Contrary to popular thought, structure tends to counteract ADD/ADHD tendencies.  Perhaps, teaching him to focus on the cause-effect relationship of actions to consequences and setting up situations where he can find a "better solution" would make him more aware that he needs to think things through in advance.  You could offer encouragement, reminders, prompts, etc. when you assign a task, so that he does not have a chance to become sidetracked; assign work and chores in smaller bunches rather than piling it all on at once; keep him feeling challenged and avoid prolonged periods of mundane tasks; limit or eliminate TV and video games that foster the brain's need for constant stimulation; encourage cognitive activities (such as classical music, chess, MENSA puzzles, or whatever his gifts and talents dictate.)  Most of all, try to balance your understanding of his struggle with your expectation for improvement so that frustration doesn't creep in, since this often leads to broken communication, guilt, and loss of motivation by both parties.  Perhaps you cannot "fix" this, but over time you can train him to function at his personal optimum.  Trust me, every person has a weakness that they must work through, but his just happens to have a medical name.
  You may not know this, but XXXX has dyslexia.  (If only I had known before I teaching him to read, perhaps we both would have enjoyed the experience more.)  I never told him or the school district that he has it, because I figured a label would either make him feel like there was something wrong with him, or give him an excuse to never excel in certain areas.  He realizes that XXXXX is a more gifted reader/speller than he is, but he considers it the flip side of his amazing math skills, where she struggles with numbers.  Through dedication, encouragement, prayer, and some tips from a book on dyslexia, XXXX LOVES to read and is at a 7th grade level.  His oral reading is not perfect, but his comprehension skills are impeccable.  I know it's a different issue, but I wanted you to know where I'm coming from with this.  Just don't mention the D-word to XXXX!
  We love you guys.  I'll keep an ear out for anything new.  Keep us updated!  xo
~XXXXX"

Offline healthybratt

• administrator
  • Administrator
  • Guru
  • administrator
    • wouldn't you like to know?
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2010, 10:45:08 AM »
A family member came to me asking for advice regarding her son's recent diagnosis of ADHD.  I am pasting my response below (with edited names for privacy) and I am interested in feedback, since I have no direct experience as the parent of a child with this diagnosis.  I did a lot of reading, and of course I used a lot of info on this thread, but I'm open to hearing more if it's out there.  Thanks!  ~L

This all looks like a good start.  Here's a bit more to add in case anyone is interested.

All chemicals are bad (obviously) but yellow dye seems to be culprit more often than some others.  These days they put it in everything:  twinkies, doritos, mac N cheese, cheetos, cheese flavored anything, chocolate flavored anything, yellow, orange or green foods of any kind that are not naturally colored that way and even some that are and on and on and on.
  My favorite herb book!!

Offline hi_itsgwen

• Master
    • Gwen's Nest
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2010, 05:42:15 AM »
oddly enough, the book "Master your Metabolism" by Jillian Michaels covers a LOT of the what to remove and what to add to your diet to restore hormonal health...as well as suggesting a routine/schedule to help get the endocrine system operating optimally.  The endocrine system controls food digestion, fat storage, aggression (fight/flight) responses, sleep, etc.  Edited to correct book title and to add: I don't agree with everything she says ("be selfish"...um. no.) and her writing style can be a bit 'shock jock'-ish, but it's good info overall, esp. about supporting the endocrine system.

I remember she mentioned ADHD at one point in the book, but I don't remember what she said about it, and I was borrowing the book from my Mom, so I can't look it up for you.  It would be good for someone who is just considering going to whole foods, and removing toxins from their environment/foods.  Plus, it gives a great education on the different hormones, what they do, and how they're affected by chemicals and such.

Another thing to consider trying for her, just as a temporary and non-drug alternative for helping to control the excessive energy: a friend of mine with an ADHD child started allowing her son to have caffenaited coffee.  Some ADHD children have opposite responses to stimulants, and they actually help them to calm down.  Just like a dose of sleep inducing benedryl will wind some kids up instead of knocking them out.

HTH!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 04:38:44 PM by hi_itsgwen »
Come see me at www.gwens-nest.com
♥ Check out our family favorite recipes, funny kid stories, natural remedies and other creative and fun stuff.

Offline petrimama

• Master
    • My blog...
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2010, 05:25:39 PM »
Thanks!  I'll forward those suggestions.  You guys are the best!
~L

Offline steadygirl

• Adept
    • My church home page
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2010, 07:50:16 AM »
GT, thanks for the info on systematically memorizing scripture. Our 15 y/o is the most hyper of our children & he also has a great ear, memorizes things he hears quickly, etc. I think this would help him a lot. Thanks again.

Blessings ~herbalmom

Don't get too discouraged with your ADD/ADHD kids. I was one myself and it took my Mom taking me off refined sugars, artificial preservatives, and flavorings to make a huge difference and I was still energetic but could manage much better. She had a lot of trouble with me being too spontaneous and after YEARS of being reminded think before I acted and reminded after did something without out thinking of the negative consequences I was suffering as a result it all did finally sink in. ;) (as a teenager) It is a miracle I survived to adulthood!  ::)
I now have a son (4) who is pretty energetic and has been since birth. I get comments on it whenever we go anywhere.  :D  I think that a person should do whatever they can to help, but to also remember that some things may not change until they become more mature-with age.
A lot of kids with focus/energy issues are very smart and get bored easily.(I am not claiming to be extra smart- LOL!)  They need to be kept busy. I have him help me with whatever he is able to for work and make sure he has lots of time outside.(if the weather is good) He is a quick learner and excellent at memorizing. My husband taught him the models of all his matchbox cars-about 20- when he was barely 3 and he knew his letters and their sounds about then, too. We have always kept things short and worked on the things he enjoys.
Just like my Mom, I have to remind him to think about his actions and the effects they have on himself and others around him. ( I also have to keep my MIL from stuffing him full of junk food. She seems to think he is deprived and I think tries to make up for it all on Sunday morning so I get an ogre on Sunday afternoon.  :P )

Offline herbalmom

• Guru
« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2010, 09:25:37 PM »

Blessings ~herbalmom

Don't get too discouraged with your ADD/ADHD kids. I was one myself and it took my Mom taking me off refined sugars, artificial preservatives, and flavorings to make a huge difference and I was still energetic but could manage much better. She had a lot of trouble with me being too spontaneous and after YEARS of being reminded think before I acted and reminded after did something without out thinking of the negative consequences I was suffering as a result it all did finally sink in. ;) (as a teenager) It is a miracle I survived to adulthood!  ::)

Oh, yes. With the 15 y/o we joke that God's angels work overtime keeping him safe & alive & that it's a miracle he's made it this far.  ;) He really has settled down a lot as he's matured compared to when he was younger.

My DH & both sons (15 & 24 y/o) are all a lot alike. I posted a lot about how we deal with it on the thread I linked in an earlier post of mine on this thread.

Need you guys to help me calm down!

It's become old hand to us in dealing with all of it but I'm always open to new ideas that might help which is one of the reasons I follow threads like this. 

The diet, allergens, chemicals, etc can make a HUGE difference. From bouncing off the ceiling to calm. Also Jekyll & Hyde differences as well b/c mood swings & anger can really go with this also. Here's something I posted about that on the other thread:

There are herbal tinctures that help a lot but giving them on a regular basis can add up. I have a brother in his 20's that my mom gave 2 herbal combinations for quite a while & they really helped. I know one was mostly Passion Flower & one was a Melissa (lemon balm) blend but I don't remember what else was in them. Catnip on a regular basis seemed to help my son. I used to give him catnip & mint tea fairly often to help him sleep.

Since DH, both boys, & my brother are all hyper/hands on & I tend to fidget with paper (doodling & folding paper & stuff up) & am VERY talkative (which can go with being hyper) & DH, a 3 DC & I are ALL distractible I think that a chemical imbalance probably runs on both sides of the family. I'm planning to make an herbal tincture for at least the kids to take if not mom & dad also.  ;) ;) With the amount of tincture we will be going though there is no way I can afford a pre made tincture. I haven't worked out a formula yet but I will post it when I do.

A lot of people are aware that sugar & food coloring can cause hyperactivity but don't realize that many other things can cause problems, it just depends on the person. For all of my kids sugar, dairy, high carbs & anything synthetic causes them problems including anger, mood swings & hyperactivity. Keeping blood sugar balanced is important too. Low blood sugar tends to go with this. Your brain can only use the sugar in your blood for fuel. If your blood sugar is low, the parts of the brain that control behavior & attentiveness shut down. Frequent small meals may be better than 3 large meals. Watch the carbs, hyper children are much more sensitive to them, even good carbs like fruit. Treat for yeast & leaky gut, they go along with being hyper as well. HTH Blessings ~herbalmom