Natural Health > Fermented Foods

Kombucha: Side Effects, Risks & Warnings

<< < (18/29) > >>

MamaSong:

--- Quote from: NotLuckyButBlessed on June 27, 2007, 07:42:50 PM ---

My sister and I read on Wikipedia that 'bucha can make medications, less effective. They specifically meniton birth control. She wanted me to ask if this is true. Do any of you know anything/have you heard anything about that?

--- End quote ---

Actually, the article says it "might" make medications less effective, but I didn't see any documented evidence to support it and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.  I tried linking to the documents cited in the Wikipedia article, but one had nothing to do with interactions with pills and the other one was inaccessible without a login to the Stafford University website, so that didn't help. 

The only place birth control was mentioned in reference to kombucha in other articles, was that kombucha could help restore the proper balance of bacteria in your system destroyed my the use of birth control pills.

healthybratt:

--- Quote from: NotLuckyButBlessed on June 27, 2007, 07:42:50 PM ---

My sister and I read on Wikipedia that 'bucha can make medications, less effective. They specifically mention birth control. She wanted me to ask if this is true. Do any of you know anything/have you heard anything about that?

--- End quote ---
This is a definite possibility.  Kombucha is a liver detoxifier and many medications are metabolized in the liver, so if you clean out the liver while trying to make use of a medication, the med may get pushed through(cleaned out) before your body can utilize it in any way.  Forevergirl has shared with me that it was discovered in Russia that people who drank Kombucha regularly got less drunk when drinking Vodka than their neighbors who drank only the Vodka.

NotLuckyButBlessed:
This is the response I got from CajunErnie:

sounds like Wikepedia got it backwards.  Kombucha (and other supplements) sometimes enhances the effectiveness of medications so the government requires a notice that your health provider be informed of any supplements you are taking so dosage can be adjusted if needed.  Wouldn’t it be great if Kombucha made the birth control pills 100% effective so there wouldn’t be any “accidents”?

floydian:

--- Quote from: NotLuckyButBlessed on June 28, 2007, 05:06:10 AM ---This is the response I got from CajunErnie:

sounds like Wikepedia got it backwards.  Kombucha (and other supplements) sometimes enhances the effectiveness of medications so the government requires a notice that your health provider be informed of any supplements you are taking so dosage can be adjusted if needed.  Wouldn’t it be great if Kombucha made the birth control pills 100% effective so there wouldn’t be any “accidents”?

--- End quote ---

Well..................
Coming from someone who has had at least two "accidents", they seem to be the biggest blessings. ;)

KADETMmom:
Okay, you lovely kombucha drinkers:
What would you do if you were annoyed by a slight buzz when you drank your kombucha?   ::)   I wasn't falling over, but it was just *too* reminiscent of a wine cooler I guess.   :o  The only one staggering around was my dh as he made fun of me  ;D

Here's an explanation my friend sent me from her kombucha loop...
(after I'd thrown out my scoby...)  I haven't checked my bp lately, but in the days of prenatal office calls I was usually in the normal/low zone, so this might be my issue.

???
Any opinions/advice??  (ie, Quit reading kombucha threads and be content to give it up?)

Thanks,
Melanie

+ + + + + + + + +
Wed May 2, 2007 2:20 pm (PST)

A very active yeasty KT ferment, in the early stage >4 days, the alcohol
content would unlikely go over 3%, settling at less than 1/2 of 1% over the
typical 9 day ferment. Typically fresh squeezed OJ has ~1/2 of 1% alcohol.

Many people even those with high alcohol tolerance have told me they seem to
get a buzz from KT. The buzz associated with KT seems more of a
light-headiness to the point of dizziness and having to sit down. High
vitamin B gives a pleasant burst of energy, quite the opposite effect. At
any rate the vitamins and minerals content - though quite numerous, is on
the low side and insufficient to effect anything. It is generally believed
to the acids that fuel the benefits of KT.

IMO, the buzz is from KT moving the blood while lowering the blood pressure.
This fits into the traditional Chinese medicine view (my area of expertise)
not into the western mode. If you're one with low blood pressure, or
borderline KT may affect you more. Seems to work nicely for those with high
blood pressure. This is of course, a generalization as with TCM there are
difficult causes of LBP as well as different causes of HBP and have to be
considered in a different scheme.

Peace

Ed Kasper LAc. & family
www.HappyHerbalist.
com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page